Wild Boar with Mushrooms and Apples
|3 lb. meat cut into pieces
2 cups chicken stock
1 cup white wine
1 cup water 1 small onion
4 tbsp. soy sauce
2 tbsp. sugar
12 large mushrooms (portabello)
5 apples slices
1 tbsp. cream
2 tbsp. cornstarch mixed with 1/3 cup water
|Place meat, chicken stock, wine water, onion (sliced) and soy sauce in a large pan. Cover and simmer 1½ hours.Remove meat and allow to cool completely then trim the meat to the same size as the apple slices.
Heat mushrooms in the sauce then carefully add the meat slices topped with the apple slices. Simmer 10 minutes.Add cream but do not boil. Carefully remove meat, apples and mushrooms to a serving plate.Bring sauce to almost a boil and thicken with cornstarch.
Wild Boar Chops
Marinade: 3/4 cup white wine
1 small onion, sliced
1/3 cup white wine vinegar
1 carrot, sliced
1 bay leaf ½ tsp. thyme
|Bring marinade to a boil and simmer 30 minutes. Lay chops in one layer in a dish. Pour the cold marinade ove rthe chops. Leave for 24 hours.Remove and dry the meat then fry in a mixture of oil and butter. Transfer to a baking dish and bake at 350º for 35 to 45 minutes.Serve with wild rice and red currant jelly.
Wild Boar Orange Loaf
|1½ lbs. ground wild boar
½ tsp. marjoram
¼ cup orange juice
2 tbsp. brown sugar
6 orange slices
1 cup bran cereal
½ cup shredded carrot
1 onion, chopped
¼ tsp. pepper
2 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. dry mustard
|Mix together wild boar, cereal, carrot, egg, onion, marjoram and pepper. Add orange juice.Combine brown sugar and dry mustard and sprinkle on bottom of loaf pan. Top with orange slices and press meat mixture firmly in the pan.Bake at 350º for 1 hour. Remove from oven and drain off fat.Let stand 10 minutes. Serve hot or cold.
Glazed Wild Boar Meatballs
|1½ lb. ground wild boar
¼ cup dry breadcrumbs or oatmeal
2 tsp. onion flakes or ½ cup chopped fresh onion
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. pepper
1½ cup grape jelly
½ cup ketchup
|Mix all ingredients except grape jelly and ketchup. Shape into small balls.Heat grape jelly and ketchup in frying pan. Add meatballs. Simmer slowly for about 20 – 25 minutes, turning at half time.Serve in a chafing dish.Variation: Use crabapple jelly instead of grape jelly.
Wild Boar Salad with Warm Honey-Mustard Almond Dressing
1T olive oil
4 Wild Boar tenderloin portions ( 6oz each)
1 cup pearl onions (fresh or thawed frozen)
Dressing: (makes 1 cup)
1/2 cup and 1/2T olive oil
4T shallots, minced
1/2 cup whole plain almonds
3T red wine vinegar
2T natural stone ground mustard
16oz spring mix greens 3oz goat cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Heat 1T olive oil in nonstick skillet over medium high heat.
3. Season all sides of tenderloin portions with salt and pepper. Add tenderloins to skillet and sear each side quickly to get a golden brown color.
4. Remove tenderloin from skillet immediately and place on baking sheet pan. Pour pearl onions over meat on pan and place in oven. Cook in oven until meat is desired temperature. Keep onions roasting in oven until golden brown.
5. To make dressing: Heat 1/2T olive oil in clean skillet over medium heat, leaving remaining 4T olive oil for dressing later. Add shallots and almonds to skillet and sweat shallots until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
6. Turn off heat and add red wine vinegar to skillet. Add remaining 4T olive oil and mustard and honey. Turn on heat to low and stir dressing to emulsify (combine vinegar and oil so it does not separate). Remove from heat and keep dressing warm.
7. Remove tenderloin from oven and let rest before slicing.
8. In a large stainless steel bowl or salad bowl combine salad greens and pearl onions, still warm. To add goat cheese, break in to pieces and distribute among greens.
9. Add just enough warm dressing to salad greens to coat and gently toss together. The goat cheese will melt slightly and also coat the salad greens. Distribute greens evenly among plates.
10. Slice wild boar tenderloin portions and place on top of each salad. Spoon 1T remaining salad dressing over sliced meat.